Imagine waking up on a Monday morning to a car sitting in your parking lot topped with a golden bow. Not only is a free car sitting in your driveway, but it is a Monday- so this completely takes you off guard! Head spinning and words too lost to find, your world quickly fills up with so much hope and joy… Now imagine you are no longer the receiver and became the giver… a different feeling, right?
Giving has been a topic on my mind for some time…Before I explain why, let me preface this post with- I believe in giving (i.e. time, money, talents, an ear to listen), however, when giving- I find it more “sacrificial” than the “fulfilling” feeling I hear most often.
Because of this, I questioned my own generosity and felt guilty of my in-cheerfulness to give. Even worse- when receiving, I could not help but feel overwhelmed with so much joy!
So, weary of my imbalanced feelings of give and take, I prayed- asking the Lord to work in my heart to become the “cheerful” giver as described in 2 Corinthians 9:7.
If you can relate, here are some scriptures that encouraged me and shed some light on giving:
1. Do Not Give Under Pressure. You Decide.
- “You must each decide how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” 2 Corinthians 9:7
2. Look for Opportunities to Give (it’s right under your nose)
- “Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.” Hebrews 10:24
3. The Future is Bright for the Generous
- “The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.” Proverbs 11:25
4. It Will Not Always Be a Walk in the Park to do Good
- “So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.” Galatians 6:9
I am no perfect giver, but I am so grateful for the opportunities to practice. Have you mastered the way of cheerful giving? Share in the comments below. 🙂